Monday, November 03, 2014

Monday's Child

1.  Plants know when they are being eaten, and they do NOT like it.

2.  Markets do not create jobs, governments do.  Poor Hil, having to deal with E. Warren.  But she is just making campaign ads for the Republican candidate in '16.  Of course, the Repubs will likely choose such a horrible that she'll still win, in spite of this.

3.  Heroic American officials manage to stave off cheap sugar from Mexico.  Or, more accurately, the U.S. is now the OPEC of sugar.

4.  On GamerGate.  It's a long story.... one entry point. A different, rather breathless, view. Here's an origin.  Not "the" origin, but an origin.

5.  Halloween candy causes global warming.  Something else scary about Oct 31.
moremoremore!



6.  Worse than Nixon?  Wow.

7.  This strikes me as something too strange for the Onion to write up.  On the other hand, I'm guessing frequent reader Shirley in RI would be willing to ride the bus.

8.  Will Lyman records a voicemail outgoing msg.  It's better than mine.

9.  The Queen of England (i.e., Elton John--and don't blame me, it's not my joke) admires the pope.

10.  Six policies economists love and politicians (and voters) hate.

11.  The hottest thing in political science this week.

12.  The Big Lebowski costume.  The question:  was the "model" the big Mungowski?  There is some slight resemblance, I suppose.

13.  Speaking of "resemblance":  Mitch does another bloodhound ad.  Showing his sweeter side.

14.  Man chased in underwear, loses underwear on fence, grabs some pants.  Cops arrest him for refusing to register as a sex offender.  But THEY were the ones who made him naked in the first place. I dunno.

15.  What the....how could you be arrested twice for drunk driving, three hours apart?  Did she drink more?  Is she really a zombie?  I mean, real zombies would have trouble with the alphabet backwards test, and the "walk the line with your head not falling off" test.

16.  You can hardly blame the dog.  Pup thought it was a game.  A FUN game.

17.  A "Brown Shaheen."  I did not know that.

18.  A study of young women.  My summary:  Young women who think they are pretty spend more time on make-up than those who don't. In other words, human beings understand comparative advantage and opportunity cost. Next:  Water is wet.

19.  Paralyzed man walks again after cells for smelling placed in spine.  Wait, what?

20.  Mustache Hall of Fame. I submitted Angus as an entry.  We'll see.

21.  For those of you who think that people in government are altruistic.

22.  This story has so many nice features I don't want to spoil it.  But...."the officers recognized the animals" as repeat offenders?

23.  David Brooks on "partyism."

24.  I think it is clear that I am not a good person.  Because this made me laugh. I would not have laughed if I had been there, and I'd happy to buy a new fairie doll for the girl.  But the video made me laugh.  It did.  Of course, a large doll can also scare other people, I suppose.

25.  The Commissioner needs to turn OFF the "BatSignal."

26.  Domo arigato.




Headlines:

Anti-Violence Activists Charged in Savage Beating.

Small Plane Crashes Into Flight Safety Building.

Bill Clinton Plugs Kay Hagan.  








3 comments:

ConnGator said...

Think you are a bit off about the criticism of the zero-for-zero sugar plan.

Yes, it would be better to unilaterally remove all sugar subsidies, but that is politically impossible. This plan is a way it could happen.

Old Odd Jobs said...

Link 8 broken, Mike

Anonymous said...

Link 8 here

http://youtu.be/G1_ZCrpBM6w