1. Republican baptism. Seriously, self-consciously atheistic, secular baptism, for a fee, from the priests of the state. Guess what country? Yep. France.
2. News? Best-selling gun is popular. New scientific study: most people think water is wet.
3. A serious question:
Consider A to be the number of people who can correctly define the Streisand Effect.
Consider B to be the number of people who can identify Barbara Streisand.
What is the "over/under" year when A>B? I say 2025.
4. Police: We need to know. But you don't need to know we know. Or even that we know. Trust us, because we know what's best.
5. Ilya Somin on the MID.
6. Signs of the apocalypse: Not just McDonalds. But you are so lazy you can't even stop off at the drive-through. You want that giant burger and large fries BROUGHT to your fat ass, so you can keep binge-watching "2 Broke Girls."
7. It's a new game: Rand Paul, fan of Ayn Rand, was attacked over lawn clippings and trimming of hedges. So, what do we call this incident? Some suggestions: "Who is John Assault?" "Atlas Shrubbed." "The Hedge Row." See? Isn't that fun?
8. Bitcoin costs a lot....of electricity.
9. Dan Drezner on "The Tax on Women in National Security."
10. Okay, but is it art? Not if it is demolished. Who owns it?
11. Money and Cryptocurrency....
12. HA! No wonder the LMM looks so young and lovely.
13. Ranch dressing. A KEG of ranch dressing. That is all. Well, actually, that is NOT all. Save room for the PieCaken.
14. Mike Pence on the "Year of Accomplishments" by the Trump Administration. Really.
15. Hedy Lamarr was better than I am at EVERYTHING. Happy Birthday, Hedy Lamarr.
16. Was John Locke the first "modern" economist? (8 minute video)
17. Have you ever wondered about the strange, messed up play the Indy Colts ran in 2015? I had wondered. The play. The explanation. Another explanation.
18. Miles Davis did an interview with 60 Minutes in 1988. Miles Davis does not appear to be from Earth. But he was remarkable. An electrifying presence.
19. This level of misunderstanding of what libertarianism is can only be willful. Because Elie Mystal can't be THAT confused. Right?
20. Virgil Storr and some weak free-rider have some interesting things to say about the Bolshevik revolution.
21. The state desperately wants to regulate food trucks, to make sure no one can get inexpensive meals conveniently. You should have to go to a sit down restaurant, or else get fried salty fat in a bag by standing around at McD's. But it's hard to hold the lid on. Because....Uber Eats.
22. Can you imagine overlooking such a mistake in the headline? On the other hand, they ARE "bi"valves, so maybe it was on purpose...
23. I wrote this nearly three years ago. But it has never been more true.
24. For Radley Balko: Well done, sir. If you haven't read his book, I'd recommend it. If you have read it, I'd still recommend it.
Grand Lagniappe: A very interesting story of the "general equilibrium" nature of ....well....of nature. In just 22 years, large changes. Pretty powerful example of comparative statics.