1. What sort of person does this? It's not like running a red light. There was no chance of this working out well.
2. There has to be more to this story. The "she's from Ukraine, they do things differently there" defense seems weak to me. A bit different viewpoint here. I do have to say that anyone who has been around a toddler for more than about an hour has considered hanging as a solution.....
3. Trump is wrong about the EU. But he is not entirely wrong about NATO.
4. There is little to no evidence that voluntary pre-K programs do any good. All the positive results come from non-random assignment, meaning that educated and motivated parents are likely the cause, NOT the pre-K program. A randomized trial finds no effect. The problem: the main difference is educational environment in the home the kids are NOT staying home at. Pre-K has to help some children, it's just hard to find a way to measure that accurately.
5. The policy of restricting or taxing plastic bags does essentially zero good. It is however (1) inconvenient and (2) pleasing to people who like to suffer inconvenience as a way of showing their love for the earth in pointless, and therefore religiously useful, ways.
6. A problem with the "road" to liberty. You might want to be a directionalist, like I am.
7. Iga is having a ninja shortage.
8. At least the Manchurian Candidate PRETENDED he cared about the U.S. This guy, not so much.
10. Russia gets another pass.
11. "Places of Persistence: Slavery and the Geography of Intergenerational Mobility in the United States."
12. Putting the "crow" into necrophilia.
13. It's just cultural appropriation to impose your own, multicultural standards on the great works of the past. Some humility, younglings....
14. This is not the Onion. This guy actually thinks that trolling people on the web is the key to success in mass elections. No, really, he does.
15. Slavery did not make the U.S. rich. It made some people rich, and a lot of others poor.
16. The loss of a common culture. I don't think Deneen is entirely right, but he is certainly NOT entirely wrong.
17. Not sure this is real. But it may be.
18. The tide of free speech....has it turned, on college campuses?
19. All campaign strategies are local....
20. My piece for the "The Hill," on UBI.
21. I'm sorry, ma'am. You've been deleted. Wow.
22. Cutest thing you'll see today: This little girl saw an abandoned broken water heater at the curb, waiting to be taken away. She thought it was a robot. And the cuteness ensued.
23. Why haven't higher wages (at the top end) reduced work hours? An interesting commentary on price effects and income effects of labor "supply." Or, are you willing to pay $1,000 an hour to go sailing? Even if you are really rich?
24. Why? A drive-by bicycle shooting.
25. The road to socialism: Venezuela.
26. Black Jeopardy on SNL. One of them (the best, I think). Then another. A third. Like all good comedy, it's partly mocking something directly. But it's also got some things that make your skin crawl and think about why that's not actually funny.
27. Trans men on being men, compared to being women.
This, from V. Postrel. What's more inclusive than extreme, semi-religious food taboos in the workplace? The grand lagniappe, from Randy Simmons, in reaction to VP's article: