Sunday, January 28, 2007

Snark Around The Clock

I rarely read the scabrous "American and Comparative Jobs" blog/comment fest.

The self-serving tone, and the nearly entirely uninformed content, makes it of little use for anyone who has a job, and more addictive than crack for those who do not.

But I ventured into the morass today, and encountered...well, pure joy. The level of snark has fallen past mere food fight, and now approximates zoo monkeys throwing their own excrement and then enthusiastically licking their hands.

On the other hand, there is a degree of self-awareness in the comments that makes it clear that the participants recognize this. I give people a LOT of credit for self-awareness.

Two quotes, for a hint of what it is like:

1. Anonymous said...
The Cornell Dept is the academic equivalent of an Amish community.


and then:

2. Anonymous said...
...For all the people disparaging the TAMU, Emory, and Davis's of the world...most of them wouldn't even sniff an interview at those places.

The conversation here reminds me too much of how my first and second year colleagues would talk in the computer lab. Interesting how their tune always changed once they hit the job market.
1/27/2007 5:21 AM

Anonymous said...
Seems like we have an omniscient poster here!
1/27/2007 5:26 AM

Anonymous said...
Reading all the snark on this blog reminds me of a line that Steve Martin used to pull out on hecklers: "Ah, yes, I can remember what it was like when I had my first beer..."
1/27/2007 5:47 AM

Anonymous said...
The point, 4:30, is that Cornell wouldn't have any serious placements in the last 20 years without Mebane doing the heavy lifting.
1/27/2007 6:16 AM

Anonymous said...
How can people rehash the same question again and again as though it's fresh meat?
1/27/2007 7:18 AM

Anonymous said...
7:18 - we are political scientists


Now, ain't THAT the truth!

2 comments:

Chris Lawrence said...

In between the uninformed content, there are a few valuable bits of information here and there... and the job advice thread isn't bad.

But it does need more firm steering on occasion, I'll grant that. And some of the discussion (like the whole Cornell debate) is both silly and beside the point--even if I wanted to teach at Cornell (or Emory or Davis), which I don't, I'd never get an interview there. Which is fine with me.

Dirty Davey said...

Wow. Those links make me very happy to be where I am.