The EYM is home from Germany, and soon going to New York to defend his thesis. So a strong EYM-focus on today's McIfol....
1. Old people, the internet, and the end of times. As I argued ten years ago, we (especially older people) depend on the "news" being verified and curated. The transition is hard.
2. Along those lines: that whole influence thing? If it's important, it's fake. Almost anything on the internet that seems important can be faked, and then why not fake it? It's a problem. But it may not be the problem that old peope think it is.
3. Keep feet off the streets. That's why elites tweet.
4. Of course, Jim Bakker has been selling fakery to the old and confused for a long time. Still....really, Jimbo?
5. Marx would have been 200. And he's still killing the sort of people he claimed to love.
6. Why are so many conservatives upset about Baby Alfie, when they don't care about poor Alfonsito?
7. We should denote length of time of Trump admin staff in terms of "Scaramucci"s. That is, ten days. As in, "That guy lasted three Scaramuccis. Pretty good, for a Trumpino." The question: Will Giuliani last even one full Scaramucci?
8. Kids can't be on their own, even on Sesame Street.
9. I was willing to defend Pence for a long time. But Arpaio? Nope. D-Drez has some thoughts.
10. Trump is winning by gathering all the groups that oppose liberalism. Both the new kind and the classical kind. That's not actually winning, though, because it is not a program of what to do, only what to oppose.
11. Can smart contracts use blockchain technology?
12. We don't need tariffs. We could just prohibit Americans from traveling abroad. Maybe we could even build a wall, to keep all that money at home.
13. Figure 2, Panel A of this paper. It appears that Donna Gingerella thinks she lives in a very large city, by the way....
14. I don't know much about London; this may be completely wrong. But the young man calls out political leaders for their "supine cowardice," and that's always good. And he defends Sadiq Khan pretty convincingly, again given what little I know.
15. This is one of the strangest things I've ever seen. I guess it makes me happy. But....seriously?
16. Diana Fleischman being amazing in writing about sex robots. (Her name means "Meat Man." She is aware of this.)
17. For a standing ovation to mean "standing ovation," it can't be automatic.
18. If you are a prospective grad student, these are the sorts of questions you should have for the Director of Grad Studies....
19. Drew Millard on Sexy Vegan. And some other stuff. There's a lot going on. Including the new Robin Hood movie.
20. Congress gives up. It's what Congress does.
21. Dang. I did not know this about till. Thanks to @bitteranagram.
22. It's dumb to claim you are at work when you are obviously not. But for the REASON that you are "obviously" not at work to be time-stamped charges on your University credit card? Wow. A "dedicated businessman" is charged with the heinous crime of "galavanting." Who does he think he is, a professor?
Art imitates life and makes a full circle, out beyond farce. A truly remarkable video moment. Stormy Daniels herself appears on the SNL cold open. Good lord.