Thursday, September 03, 2009

Mother in Law jokes: NOT Funny to Mother in Law

Sunda Croonquist is being sued by her Mother in Law, for making fun of the MiL in the stand-up comedy show that Sunda does.

The MiL is suing for actual damages, it appears. But the MiL should remember that truth is a defense in libel cases. As in, the daughter comic is "libel" to win. An example of the kind of jokes in question: Sunda's first visit (Sunda is black, btw) to her mother-in-law's (very white, very Jewish) house: "I walk in, I say, 'Thank you so much for having me here, Ruthie.' She says, 'The pleasure's all mine, have a seat."' Then, in a loud aside, 'Harriet, put my pocketbook away.'"

Here's the best part: Sunda's husband Mark is a lawyer. He is personally represnting Sunda, in court, against his own mother. What could POSSIBLY go wrong with that plan!? I guess grandma is not going to get to see much of the grand daughter. Sad, really.

The video....see for yourself if Sunda goes over the line.

Fortunately, I have a WONDERFUL mother in law, one who never does anything nuts or bizarre. So, I'm never tempted to blog about her, and get sued like this.

Nod to RL, who has an even BETTER MiL than I have. (Yes, he made me say that...)

1 comment:

Paul Ganssle said...

My mother-in-law is so fat, she's so fat that she's in very good shape and there is nothing funny about her.