Friday, January 09, 2015

Click This!

Clicker fraud at Dartmouth.

In the "Sports, Ethics, & Religion" class no less!

Students didn't go to class but their clickers did and other students multi-clicked.

People, I have a serious question:  If you cheat in a total joke class is it really wrong?

According to the Chronicle, "The popular class was initially designed to help the college’s athletes, many of whom struggled with freshman-year coursework."

64 of the 275 students enrolled are accused.

Dartmouth needs a "keep the jocks eligible class"? Really?

And it's in the Religion department?

Oh, my.

In the classes where I use classroom response systems, I've found it pretty easy to compare the number of people in the room with the number of people signed into the system. So far, that's been pretty fool-proof.

I am guessing this "absentee clicking" was tacitly condoned and the reason there is a problem is that some non-jocks wandered into the class and complained.

I guess this is why we can't have nice things.

I guess this now rockets Dartmouth past Cornell into the "least plausible member of the Ivy League".

Congrats.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cure is to have the school teach the various courses, but the university test for every course, as they do in British univerisites.

Then don't care whether students attend class.

This would correct most of the problems professors face today. Students would be more desirous of rigor in teaching and course work, since neither the teacher nor student would know the actual test. Good teachers who prepare students will be prized, while teacher offering easy course work will be shunned.

Teacher ranking will be on how well prepared the student was, but should also tag the students grade in the class and GPA in major and GPA overall.

No finals grading work for the teaching staff!

Mark Sherman

Simon Spero said...

Wouldn't have gotten away with it in a CS class.

An alternative approach for chemistry or life sciences work is to include in the syllabus on which days tests will be held and antidotes administered.

Dr. Tufte said...

Gotta love the administrators at my school.

In 2008, when I brought 2 students up on (internal) charges that they'd cheated this way ... a committee of our finest decided I was wrong because I had no policy in my syllabus saying you couldn't do this.