Thursday, August 22, 2013

Epic Modern Paintings

This summer I re-visited MOMA, the Hirschhorn, and the East wing of the National Gallery. Mostly it reminded me why I've turned to folk art and outsider art and tribal art for my pleasure, but there were 4 epic modern paintings I'd like to share with you.

First is from MOMA and it's an El-Anatsui:



The guy is just tremendous!

The second was in the Hirshhorn. A Richter:


I love the whole range of Richter's work but his abstract paintings are my favorites.





The last two were from the National Gallery East Wing:





















































The first is Lavender Mist. One of the greatest modern paintings ever.

The second is by Howard Hodgkin, another of my favorite painters.

The NG also had a good Anslem Kiefer out, but it didn't photograph very well.

All in all, the National Gallery is somehow getting worse over time. Fewer Jasper Johns, Fewer Rothkos, more dumb special exhibits, including one on the costumes of the Russian Ballet!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I know what inspired the design of so many of Bill Cosby's sweaters. I bet you won't be complaining if The Cosby Sweater Project comes to the National Gallery.