Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Okay, now this CAN'T be right

John Lott didn't really do this, did he?

Either someone set up a pretty elaborate hoax (possible), or else...well, it's sad, is what it is.

UPDATE: Nod to BN, who is well on his to becoming a politically moderate HL Mencken. He enjoys this kind of thing a little TOO much. If you ask me.

Mencken (and it could be Nyhan): "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."

UPDATE AGAIN: William Sjostrom has some words on Lott and Levitt, from a while back.

2 comments:

Mungowitz said...

Well...yeah.

But I'm grasping at straws here.

Mungowitz said...

Tim, Tim, Tim:

1. Lott is ALREADY being punished. He is a marginalized figure, subject of scorn. Is it because he is a conservative, or because he is a fraud? We'll never know. But he was a conservative first. Now, one can say that the fact that I got tenure at a place like Duke is an indication that such discrimination against conservatives, if it even exists, is not insuperable. And I would have to say that is right.

2. Read back up the more than 30 comments in the thread I made the "get a life" comment on. They are just squabbling.

3. If it matters, I consider the Lambert work Fisking Lott to be important. But I am pretty sure that Tim does not wake up in the morning worrying about what I think.

4. Am I real? And do I lack the ability to make basic logical arguments? Perhaps you are giving too much credit to Duke profs. As my teenage son says, "If Dad can do it, how hard can it really be?"