Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I was carried to Ohio in a swarm of bees

Whenever a favorite band of mine makes a move to a more "upscale" record label, I get scared.

However, the National have more than survived their move to 4AD. "High Violet" is a great record.

As always, the drumming and vocals are the most distinctive parts of the record, and while there is a little bit of 4AD-ish "fussiness" to the record, it is really fantastic. This is a highly skilled band, I guess at their peak.

When I first put the CD on, it brought Mrs. Angus right into the music room where she plopped herself down beside me and didn't leave until the album ended (she usually "listens" to music on the move).

For my part, I kept updating which song was my favorite and the music went by. High Violet hangs together really well as a cohesive album.

Highly recommended.


No comments: