Friday, July 16, 2010

cool beans!

The economics job market may be going more paperless.

When I was a lad, "Job Openings for Economists" was expensive and sent by snail-mail. It has long gone to an electronic version, but the process of handling and evaluating applications remains (in my experience at least) paper heavy.

Now VOXEU and Walras.com are promoting a joint job market site that, among other things, allows reference letter writers to post their letters online (which is great, I love doing references for law school applicants and just writing one letter and posting it to their centralized site), and search committee members to post evaluations of candidates (presumably only for the other search committee members to see).
I hope this catches on in the US. I may be hopelessly trapped in the backwoods and backwaters, but I've never heard of Walras.com before? Any US econ recruiters out there that are already using that site?

2 comments:

David said...

Great!

I was thinking about quitting my job. This clinches it.

Norman said...

Maybe I should give it a shot. Can't hurt, right?