Monday, June 16, 2008

Robert Samuelson joins the Club

The Angus Gridlock Club, that is:


But for me, McCain does have one provisional and accidental advantage. By most appraisals, the Republicans will get slaughtered in congressional elections, and I have a visceral dislike of one-party government. It didn't work well under Bill Clinton or George W. Bush. Divided government doesn't ensure good government, but it may limit bad government by checking the worst instincts of both parties.

Amen, brother!! (you can read the whole article here)

7 comments:

Dirty Davey said...

I think of it as the "too stupid to live" club myself.

KipEsquire said...

I agree that gridlock is generally preferable.

Still, all the Congressional gridlock in the world doesn't equal one Supreme Court vacancy given the Court's current makeup (let alone two or even three vacancies, and don't forget district and circuit courts).

Suddenly I'm depressed...

Anonymous said...

Wow. So this is the best the RCPers can come up with? "Vote for Gridlock"?

How inspirational. Certain to mobilize millions of GOP voters come November.

I'm going to like having Obama as president...

Angus said...

What are RCPers?

I P Knightly!

Anonymous said...

I think RCP stands for Revolutionary Communist Party.

Angus said...

ya, you know I don't really look for government to inspire me or solve my problems, so to me gridlock is a noble goal. It may keep the republicans out of my social life and the dems away from my wallet which is pretty much all you can ask for from a government.

Dirty Davey said...

"It may keep the republicans out of my social life and the dems away from my wallet which is pretty much all you can ask for from a government."

I dunno. I've always thought habeas corpus was a pretty minimal request--but it seems to be hanging by a 5-4 thread, with the justices McCain has praised being on the "4" side.

Anyone who calls themselves a "civil libertarian" while planning to vote for a president who speaks favorably of Roberts and Alito is either a liar or a fool.