Monday, December 01, 2008

Rules are GOOD, if they are OUR rules

A moderately disgusting development.

The Bush administration had promised not to pass any last-minute, hurry-up-for-political-reasons, new rules.

But, here we go.

Anonyman sends along a little ob. dicta:

The point at which I realized I could no longer be part of the new R party that W created was when I argued that as Rs, we should not be giving more power to bureaucrats to create rules (that have the force of law) just because we agree with the rule. We are essentially feeding the beast and undermining the R party as well as democracy. The reaction was a room full of blank faces and horror. I was seen as the apostate. Obviously, the people that thought I was nuts are still there (for now), I'm not.

The particular rule proposed here makes some sense. But I am worried about future NONsense, if this keeps up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The Labor Department proposal is one of about 20 highly contentious rules the Bush administration is planning to issue in its final weeks."

It's things like this that make me agree with Sandy Levinson...