From the KPC request for posts pool:
"If you were the supreme ruler of the USA, what would be the top 5 things you would do?"
1. Increase the inflow of immigrants, especially skilled immigrants.
2. Increase school choice, especially for lower income families.
3. Big tax reform with a broad base, low rates, and a carbon tax included in the mix.
4. Use a combination of size limits, leverage limits, and capital requirements that move with size/leverage to reduce the frequency with which finance blows up the economy (instead of trying to micro-manage a la Dodd-Frank / Volcker rule).
5. De-porkify the Federal Government (Dept. of Agriculture, Ex-Imp bank, small business administration, military procurement).
Other priority items would be work to privatize public universities,work for a "trade not aid" approach to developing countries, and work on patent reform.
I shudder to think what Tom will think of it, but that's it; that's my list!