Saturday, July 19, 2008

Batman: Yes

Gosh, that's a good movie.

My son and I, walking out of the theater.

Me: "I don't see how that could have been much better."

Him: "Nope."

Since he's 16, this passes for a conversation. And having him AGREE with
me is a major concession.

So, let me note, without spoilers, the following:

1. The photography and lighting. The night scenes, outside
high up in Hong Kong and New York. Wow.

2. Heath Ledger. Unbelievable. I mean, the role was well-written,
but he inhabited it. Actually moved in and lived there, in the Joker.

3. Separately, the character of the Joker, in the movie. Extremely
disturbing, and integrated into the plot, and the feeling, of the movie.

4. The conception of human nature. "Do you have any idea how alone you are?"

5. The riffs, intentional or not, on Machiavelli's theme that the Prince
must sacrifice his soul to damnation if he is to save the city. Utterly sacrifice
his soul, and break his principles, if the city is to survive. There is
no hypocrisy, no morality. There is only survive, or not survive.

I don't see how it could have been much better. Nope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, it was Chicago, not New York.

But yes, very good movie.