Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Econ Econ uber alles

I am stuck underneath the Goethals bridge for the foreseeable future! Here though is a self-serving tidbit from USA Today:

"Recent college graduates lucky enough to nab jobs are earning less, according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, which said that 2010 graduates' average starting pay was $48,661, down 1.3% from 2009...."

However, "Offers for economics majors rose 2.1% to 50,885; those studying finance got a 0.0% bump to $50,356."

Come and join us!

Seriously, beyond the miniscule differences in starting salaries, and my obvious bias (though I was a business major in college), I believe econ is a much better undergraduate major that finance. Econ BA + Finance MBA is a great combo though.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What were you doing under the Goethals Bridge?

Anonymous said...

Which finance MBA would you be doing if you had your time again Angus?

Angus said...

If I had my time again, I wouldn't change a thing (maybe try harder to get into a better grad school).

I'd never last in the world of finance. If there wasn't academics for me, I'd probably be a night watchman or a forest ranger.