Thursday, July 23, 2009

What I've been reading

1. American Shaolin. I really enjoyed this book, as did Mrs. Angus. A first person account of a skinny Princeton religion major going to China and training with the Monks of Shaolin Temple. Funny and insightful.

2. 1491. Terrific book about revisionist history of the Americas pre - "contact". This is a must read if you've not yet done so. Dense but way good.

3. The Book of Dave. I have to admit that despite his many faults, I am in the tank for Will Self. Parts of this novel are excellent, and parts really bite the big one. All in all I'm glad I read it, but I can't say "drop everything and read this book" like I can about #s 1 and 2 (However I can say that about "The Quantity Theory of Insanity" and "My Idea of Fun" by Self).

No comments: