Sunday, September 05, 2010

Deepak AIIMed high

Whatever you may think of Deepak Chopra today, he was once a very confused young man:

I was trained as a medical doctor. I went to medical school because I wanted to ask the big questions. Do we have a soul? Does God exist? What happens after death?

People, he's an endrocrinologist! Maybe he, like Hunter S. Thompson, thinks/thought that God was in the pineal gland?

Or perhaps I misunderstand the nature of the curriculum at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences?

As far as I can see, going to med school to learn about theology and philosophy is like going to the Gracie Jujitsu Academy to learn how to be a plumber.

1 comment:

ardyanovich said...

Of course he went to medical school to become rich and well respected, but now that he's a cultural leader, he has to give more noble reasons for his choices. I read a similar passage by Nassim Taleb in one of his books. He claimed not to have known how a philosopher like himself wound up in finance. I mean, come on, other than the money, why else would someone put themselves through that?