Thursday, January 24, 2013

Profoundly Disturbing

Here is a pre-release of a VW SuperBowl commercial.  Starring Jimmy Cliff.



Okay, now Jimmy Cliff is legitimately a legend.  His song "Trapped" is a dark, wonderful, interesting thing.  I even liked Bruce Springsteen's cover.  And "The Harder They Come."  Jimmy Cliff is great.

And VW is a perfectly fine car company.

But there is something deeply creepy about the way all of these badly deranged folks are allowing themselves to be exploited for...well, for what?  What is the commercial supposed to show about VWs, exactly?  And I'm glad Jimmy Cliff is gettin' paid.  But this had to hurt.  I hope he at least got high first.  I mean, a rock/reggae legend had to a roll call of the most damaged people on the internet:  "Crazy cat lady!  Irate baseball coach!  Angry politician! Supermarket tantrum girl! (etc)."   Ouch.  I'm a big fan of euvoluntary exchange, but did Jimmy need the cash THIS bad?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Who's exploiting whom here?

Anonymous said...

Almost all the superbowl commercials are like this. You have no idea what they are marketing until the logo splash at the end. There are maybe 1 or 2 commercials per superbowol that I think are clever, amusing and effective but the rest are just weird.

I know people who watch the superbowl only for the comercials.

I don't get it either.

Emilia Nolette said...

Even i got confused by reading this post. Yes I will agree that, many people will watch Superbowl for the commercials.