Monday, August 22, 2011

Time to make the donuts

Aaargh.

Another semester starts today.

Don't get me wrong, I probably have the best job in the world, but the sudden influx of 23,000+ students and the imposition of a fixed schedule always takes me by surprise somehow, even after 26 years of being a professor.

Last night I dreamed that Mr. 2T got lost on campus and I couldn't find him. I couldn't recognize buildings (the dream campus was a mix of OU, George Mason, Duke and my old K-12 building), and someone had put a snow capped mountain between the front and back halves of the campus.

Tomorrow, I'll be sweaty and nervous when my classes meet for the first time.
I know, there are tons of people in the world with actual, real problems.

Thanks for listening anyway.

4 comments:

zimaroll said...

The donuts meme is so specific to our age group. Fond memories. I wonder how many of your students would recognize it? Stand in the influx of rushing students and tell yourself, "It takes a licking but keeps on ticking."

Peter G. Klein said...

I'm going to deliver my opening lecture in the manner of the Federal Express guy.

Pelsmin said...

Do you have the opposite of the recurring student's nightmare, where you realize today is the final exam and you forgot to teach the students anything?

Angus said...

I do sometimes have a nightmare that I am teaching a class that I haven't been showing up to. I don't know the room or the subject and I just walk around the campus for hours trying to figure it out.