Friday, November 05, 2010

Oklahoma is OK!

Some pix from my visit to OK for the KPC Summit meeting.
First, U of OK Prez David Boren wants to be sure he is not forgotten, even before he is gone. So he claimed a prime niche for his little statue (circled) on the admin building. Beautiful building, though.

Then, the main library reading room. This pic doesn't do it justice. It's breathtaking, "prairie Gothic."

Very nice campus, terrific little "college town" strip of restaurants and bars within easy walking distance. Great place.

4 comments:

Tom said...

"This pic doesn't do [the reading room] justice." Justice? The room appears to have a 15 foot ceiling. I guess this is some sort of Costly Signal... but who needs to be so impressed? Lots of good books and good acoustic deadening -- that would be Justice in a reading room.

My wife thinks I'm a party pooper.

Angus said...

I think the ceiling is actually higher than 15 feet, but don't worry, the rest of the library is pretty utilitarian. The old library building was finished in 1929.

Mungowitz said...

I would guess the ceiling is at least 30 feet high.

And maybe it's a "costly signal." I just think it is beautful.

Ya know, Tom, you could have married an ugly, dumb, obedient woman. It would have made a lot more sense. But instead you married a pretty, smart, and "Hey, Tom: BITE Me!" woman. Hasn't it been worth it, pumpkin?

Sometimes it's just worth the extra trouble. It doesn't have to be a costly signal of anything.

Cindy said...

For me this building is really history. Very unique design and indeed the ceiling is higher. I would love to work and set up my computer or laptop here because I could concentrate a lot. ( grins*)