Monday, March 22, 2010

Books which have influenced me most

1. Answer to Job, Carl Jung
2. The Blind Watchmaker, Richard Dawkins

These two books somehow liberated me and let me feel much more comfortable in my own skin.

3. The Incredible Bread Machine

Just as with Tyler, this was the first book about economics I read and it got me very interested. Then I took principles of micro and didn't come back to economics again for 3 years.

4. An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of the United States, Charles Beard.

This got me thinking about how economics could be applied broadly to other fields.

5. Economics in One Lesson, Henry Hazlitt

People, here is where I learned about the broken window fallacy. This was the second economics book I read.

6. A book whose title and author I cannot remember about the history of the relations between the US Government and Native Americans. This mystery book really shook my faith in government ***UPDATE*** The book in question has been determined to be Custer Died for your Sins, Vine Deloria Jr.

7. The Logic of Collective Action, Mancur Olson
8. The Calculus of Consent, Buchanan & Tullock
9. An Economic Theory of Democracy, Anthony Downs

Something in these books made me change my mind in grad school and decide to become an academic (my original plan was to be a macro forecaster!) and to focus on political economy.

10. Hard Boiled Wonderland & The End of the World, Haruki Murakami

This novel changed the type of fiction that I read and opened up a lot of pleasure for me going down a new (to me) literary path.

This post updated to correct the spelling of Hazlitt!

8 comments:

Peter G. Klein said...

Small correction, it's Hazlitt. But I'm sure Tom H. will appreciate the slip. ;-)

Angus said...

LOL, thanks. I did learn some things from Tom H. too but I can't talk about them on a family blog!

Simon Spero said...

If you liked "The Blind Watchmaker", you should check out "Darwin's Dangerous Idea", by Dan Dennett.

Here's Dawkins paying tribute to Dennett.

Nathanael D Snow said...

Haha, Zinn wasn't all bad, he just called Mercantilism "Capitalism" because he didn't know any better.
Nathan Snow

Anonymous said...

Was the book about relations between the government and Native Americans A Century of Dishonor? It was written by Helen Hunt Jackson.

Nikki Thornton said...

Liked your post. Someday I hope to write a book where the royalties will pay for the copies I give away.
:-)
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more about Murakami, he got me back into reading fiction on a regular basis.

ghd said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.