Friday, October 26, 2007

And the ghost stories, that litltle orphan Annie used to tell....

">Article at CBS:

Those things that go bump in the night? About one-third of people believe they could be ghosts.

And nearly one out of four, 23 percent, say they've actually seen a ghost or felt its presence, finds a pre-Halloween poll by The Associated Press and Ipsos.

One is Misty Conrad, who says she fled her rented home in Syracuse, Ind., after her daughter began talking to an unseen girl named Nicole and neighbors said children had been murdered in the house. That was after the TV and lights began flicking on at night.


So, little girls who want to move, just invent a "friend" named Nicole.

I have my own "ghost story." I very clearly remember this happening, and am equally certain it did not. Decide for yourself.

Central Florida, about 1964. I'm 6 years old, sleeping out on the enclosed front porch, because we have out of town guests. It's cold, only about 45 outside, but the room is unheated.

Dark. I wake up. Deep of night, after midnight. Corner of my eye I see a fast movement. Loud male voice, across the room: "Caramba!"

I speak no Spanish, and was not then aware of having heard this word before. I freeze for a good five minutes, shivering. Then I get up and turn on the light. There's nothing. No door opened or closed in the meantime, and the windows are shut tight.

Next morning, I asked my mother what "caramba" means. She wants to know where I heard it. I tell her. She laughs and said that I had a dream.

I was convinced then I had "seen" a ghost. I am convinced now that I had a dream. Probably had heard "caramba" on TV or something, without realizing it.

But it would make me feel special to think that I really did get a visit from ghost, a Spanish conquistador who got lost from St. Augustine in the 17th century, ended up way inland, stubbed his toe, and yelled "caramba."

The people who "see" ghosts probably feel special in just that way.

1 comment:

Shawn said...

central florida

yeah, well, there ya go. Ghostie was pissed off that he was still IN central florida. Those of us with a brain got the hell out (of Mulberry, in my case).