Monday, October 08, 2007

The Next Johnny Cash

People, Johnny Cash was AMAZING. He was the Head Hillbilly. His early stuff is incredible and his late work with Rick Rubin is classic America. He is sorely missed. When I reflect, as I often do, about whether anyone can ever fill his shoes, I think of John Doe (X, Knitters), Dave Alvin (Blasters), David Berman (Silver Jews), and Will Oldham all as worthy pretenders

However, I am here to tell you that I am now of the opinion that Bill Callahan, with his magnificent record "Woke up a Whale Heart", might become the new Johnny Cash. It's freakin' amazing. Right in the middle, the two songs back to back, "Sycamore" and "The Wheel" are incredible. I have listened to this record 7 or 8 times now and I get goose bumps and a lump in my throat every time on those two.

And from Wikipedia (so it's gotta be true!) I learned today that Callahan is dating and working with uber-pixie Joanna Newsome, who made one of 2006's best records "Ys". I guess that makes her the next June Carter (which is a big compliment)!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

damn drag city for leaving emusic!