Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Tax that fella behind the tree!

Bush has been going around saying he wants/hopes that Congress "keeps taxes low". I know this is a cliche but: What U talkin' 'bout Dubya???

Not "don't raise taxes" but "keep taxes low". Now, I know we are most likely in for at least a two year orgy of tax and spend in 2009-10 and I guess I am just a redneck Okie but I feel compelled to say that TAXES ARE NOT LOW. Federal tax revenues are over 2.5 trillion for 2007. Then there are state and local taxes on top. In 2006 these added up to another 1.2 trillion or so. Mixing my years and adding that makes total taxes collected around 28% of GDP.

People, I just can't believe that 3.7 trillion in taxes isn't getting the job done, although that somehow seems to be almost everyone's view.

Just to put a figure out there, 10% for the Feds and 5% for state & local, that would be an OK level of taxes. That's 2 trillion dollars for them to play with.

Now 10% of GDP for everyone, Federal, State, and Local, that to me would be low taxes.

A Federal Government that sucks in almost 19% of GDP is not a starved beast.

If I voted, I would vote for whoever seemed most likely to lower my taxes. I actually hope one of the complete and total morons (and they are all thus) running for the Republican nomination somehow manages to win, just so I can keep some take home pay in my pocket and some choices about how/where to spend it.

Gridlock is the only friend in Washington that we've got!

No comments: