Monday, October 05, 2009

Not My Job....

The "not my job" award candidate.... Not at ALL clear that this is legit, of course. No documentation that I could find that this comes from a real source. And that looks like a possum. Are there possums in AZ?

UPDATE: A commenter notes, "The picture has been around for more than a decade." Well, I think that is not exactly big news. If the white text is correct, it has "been around" for nearly two and half decades. Clearly, I am not claiming to have taken this picture myself, recently, since the date on the thing says "85"...

3 comments:

LoneSnark said...

The picture has been around for more than a decade, as I remember seeing it my freshman year of college. However, I cannot say it is from AZ, as this is the first time I have seen it with the white text on it.

The picture is not a photoshop, as those were rare back then. But it may have been staged for the picture, we will never know for sure.

FifthBeatle said...

How do you know that the "85" is a date? I'm not sure what else it could be, but there's no certainty that it refers to the year of the picture.

Tim C. said...

This tickled my fancy.

Apparently the 'actual' winner of the AZ DOT award painted over a badger in mid-to-late 2002, according to the contemporaneous discussion here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-61103.html

I did not find the newspaper source the writer mentioned. It does describe well enough the source of the title (SR 85, by the way) in my opinion.

This picture is obviously not a badger, and further discussion is here:
http://john.jdowning.com/nmj.htm

Obviously well before 2002, and at that time PA had blue and yellow license plates so I tend to agree with his conclusion. I guess this happens on a regular basis and this one just happened to get posted onto usenet. :)

-TC