Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Separated at Birth??


Two conflicting articles on the McCain - Obama connection.

First Jacob Weisberg at Slate emphasizes their similarities.

Then David Brooks at the NYT says, not so fast.

Weisberg: For all their obvious stylistic, ideological, and generational differences, both are anti-politicians whose fundamental argument is that our system is broken in ways that only they are capable of fixing. When McCain and Obama proclaim the need for "change" in Washington, it is neither meaningless rhetoric nor a fancy way of saying throw the bums out. They are both focused on addressing flaws in the political process—the power of special interests, unproductive hyperpartisanship, and the habits of reality-avoidance that afflict both sides.


Brooks: The central issue in this election is the crisis of leadership. Voters are reacting against partisan gridlock. Obama and McCain both offer ways to end this gridlock. Obama wants us to rise above it by rediscovering our commonalities. McCain hopes smash it with fierce honesty and independent action.

This is the general election matchup I'd like to see. Well I guess Kucinich v. Paul would be my favorite, but of the feasible ones, this is my pick. Anyone agree?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, *I* agree. Kucinich v. Paul is the best matchup.

Anonymous said...

I know it is infantile, but am I the only one that thinks it looks like they are about to kiss?

Anonymous said...

Kucinich vs Paul, Yes.

But, Obama and McCain scare the sh!t out of me. Everytime they start talking about their 1200 page plans to fix ___, I think 'IRS' and 'no child left behind' and 'prescription drug plan' and hundreds of other plans that encourage people to participate in non-economic value added and/or rent seeking activities. Plans that live on for eternity.

Hokey said...

i can't tell you how happy i am to hear other people say it. i've been hiding my Paul vs. Kucinich desire. i'm free!