Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I don't get it


Timberwolves talking three-way Garnett deal:

Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett is close to going to the Phoenix Suns in a monumental three-way trade that would send Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire to the Atlanta Hawks, league sources said Wednesday.

Atlanta would move the Nos. 3 and 11 picks in Thursday's draft, as well as Zaza Pachulia and Anthony Johnson, to Minnesota.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has delivered a mandate to his basketball executives to get a deal done, one league executive said.

Bear with me people because its gonna take old Angus a while to break this one down for you. I'm not sure which part is crazier.

Kevin Garnett, 31 years old had the following stat line last year: 22.4 ppg (on 48% shooting), 12.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists. His career numbers are 20.5 (49%), 11.4 and 4.5 so even though he came to the league out of high school and has a lot of miles on him, he hasn't really slipped. He is going and the T-Wolves are getting two draft picks neither of which is Oden or Durant and two bums??

Phoenix is willing to give up Amare Stoudemire at 24 years of age and seemingly fully recovered from his microfracture surgery for the 31 year old Garnett? Here's Amare's stat line from last year: 20.4 ppg (at 57% shooting), 9.6 rebounds playing about 6 and a half minutes per game less than Garnett (he has virtually no assists, but then again, he's got Steve Nash).

I wouldn't do this if I were Phoenix, nor would I do it if I were Minnesota. And, if I were Minnesota, why wouldn't I trade Garnett heads up for Stoudemire (allowing for whatever juggling the cap rules require to make it work)?

Does Phoenix think this is Nash's last good year coming up but Amare won't peak for two or three more so they'll never be in synch for a championship?


What is it about Amare Stoudemire that I don't know? He's really 50? He's a bad teammate? Is a tattoo that says "Black Jesus" really THAT objectionable?

Tyler? Matt? Help me out here.


ps. if this goes through, I hope Emory University, Mercer University, Agnes Scott College, or Georgia Tech are hiring next year.




No comments: