Thursday, May 08, 2008

Other predictions

I thought I would see how my OTHER predictions are faring. (Angus, being a PUSSWEILER, made only one actual prediction, that McCain would win. The rest was pretty tame).

Here are my baseball predictions, from January 1:

The Yankees suck, and wish they had not fired Joe Torre.


(the Yankees are under .500, thank you very much. 17-18. But they don't REALLY REALLY suck).

Boston's Manny Ramirez, ever trendy, also threatens to take the UFO shuttle back to his home planet, "Always Happy World." But he misses the UFO flight, apparently looking for the toilet inside the "Green Monster" in Fenway's left field. Asked later by a reporter how he had missed the flight, Manny said: "Forget about the flight, man. This is the place I want to be, man. It's great, man. They love me here, man. This is the place to be. 'Manny being Manny,' he's great, man... we've been through a lot, this is the place for me, I'm just happy to be here... I'm back!"

(Manny is batting .316, with 7 HR and 24 RBI. And he's been quiet, on the psychotic front. The hair is getting a little long, but who am I to criticize about that?).

The Arizona Diamondbacks win the World Series in seven games, beating the Cleveland Indians.

D-backs have best record in baseball. The Tribe....well, the Tribe sucks. Why does the Tribe suck? Still, Tribe plays in a really weak division, and even a brief run of non-sucking could put them in first.

Fausto Carmona (AL) and Brandon Webb (NL) are the Cy Young winners.

Fausto Carmona is 3-1, with 2.95 ERA. And, Cleveland's sucking is not helping him. But he is not throwing strikes, or strikeouts, like he did last year.
Brandon Webb is 7-0, with a 2.49 ERA. If you are keeping score, that's one for me.

RBI machine Matt Holiday wins the NL MVP, though the Rockies barely miss the playoffs.


Holiday is .305 BA, with 5 HR. Not terrible, but not close to MVP. And the Rockies are 13-21 (though they scored 4 in the 8th last night to ruin my boy Wainright's shutout, and beat that poseur Isringhausen, who has four blown saves already).

Victor Martinez wins the AL MVP, leading the Tribe to the Series with his bat and defensive dominance behind the plate.


Martinez has thrown out 8 of 19 stealing, which is respectable. And he's batting .336, which for a catcher is a lot more than just respectable. But he's suffering a power drought: zero homers. That means he's on pace to hit: zero homers. Obviously, he'll hit some, but he averaged over 20 homers per year over the last four years.

OVERALL: The only really accurate predictions are Brandon Webb, and the D-backs. The Yankees aren't great, but they are no worse than last year under Torre. All the Tribe predictions proved nonsensical, and Matt Holiday is a non-factor.

So, I'd say I'm no better at predicting baseball than I am at predicting politics.

2 comments:

Angus said...

Well you got SOMETHING right on the beisbol side and NOTHING right on the politics side, so I'd say you're INFINITELY better at predicting beisbol!!

Anonymous said...

Cubs win World Series. Write it down.